Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers offer a college seminary program for those priesthood candidates who meet the admissions criteria but who have not yet finished their college degrees. Ordinarily candidates are accepted with a university degree. However those who lack a university degree enter the Maryknoll Formation program in Chicago, Illinois and attend St. Joseph College Seminary, the undergraduate seminary of the Archdiocese of Chicago. The seminary is located on the campus of Loyola University in Chicago.
St. Joseph College Seminary seeks to marshal the resources necessary to sustain an educational experience that serves the learning needs of its students. It strives to bring about a strong grounding in the liberal arts and appropriately integrates academic, physical, and spiritual formation. St Joseph’s promotes a lived appreciation of cultural diversity, and contributes meaningfully to the well-being of the local community through apostolic service.
• The primacy of the spiritual life, in personal prayer and in the Liturgy and Sacraments of the Church.
• Conversion to a life of authentic Christian Virtue, with emphasis in developing virtues proper to priesthood.
• The pursuit of Truth, through a systematic course of study.
• The active, balanced and integrated embrace of formation in its full human, academic, spiritual, and pastoral dimensions.
• Commitment to fraternal charity, through mutual support and stable community life.
• Growth in pastoral charity, through generous, apostolic servant leadership.
• A sincere discernment of God’s call to a priestly vocation.
• Through this mission and with the help of God, the men of St. Joseph College Seminary aspire to become men in Christ, men of the Church and men for others.