Maryknoll's Priest Associate Program gives religious priests and brothers, as well as diocesan priests, an opportunity to participate in our overseas mission efforts for five years, offering a unique chance to...
- Answer Christ's call to proclaim the Good News to all nations
- Serve three to five years representing your diocese or community in Asia, Africa or Latin America
- Walk in solidarity with people overseas and work together with Maryknoll Missioners
- Enrich your own vocation through this service and solidarity
- Return to your community with insights and experiences that will strengthen your ministry
Priests and religious brothers who desire to participate in the Associate program do need to obtain permission from their Ordinary or Religious Superior to enter into the discernment process with the Maryknoll Vocation team. During this accompaniment process, usually 8-12 months, an Associate candidate satisfies a number of admission requirements including: a lifeline interview; a thematic interview; a visit to our Center in New York; and an autobiography.
After completing the requirements of application for admission to the Associate Program, one's request for admission is submitted to the Society's Admissions Board for consideration. Once approved, the priest or brother is formally accepted as an Associate. (For those accepted as priest or brother Associates, diocesan priests remain incardinated in their own dioceses, and members of religious congregations remain as members of their own congregations)
- Once accepted as an Associate, we train you for overseas mission work in a six week orientation program at Maryknoll, NY. Afterwards, a three-way contract is signed between the Associate, the Maryknoll Society, and the individual's bishop or religious superior.
- As an Associate of Maryknoll, an Associate receives the same monthly stipend and medical benefits as a Society member. Maryknoll also pays yearly into his diocesan retirement plan while he is under contract.
- During the period of the contract the Associate enjoys all the same rights, privileges, and obligations as a Society Member less voting for Society superiors. However, Associates have full voting rights in the Maryknoll Region where they are assigned on matters concerning the apostolate.
Fr. Kevin Conroy, a Maryknoll Priest Associate in Cambodia, works tirelessly to free mentally ill who are CHAINED by family members due to a lack of mental services.
Fr. Dan Chapin (pictured, on left), Maryknoll’s newest Priest Associate, previously spent 10 years of mission service in Mollendo, Peru where his diocese staffed a parish. We welcome Fr. Dan as he returns to mission now with us for the next 5 years as a Maryknoll Associate!